Total Pageviews

Friday 17 August 2012

Asif Bhai's Lament



Come summer my in-laws descend upon us
With baggage and bundles and rucksacks – no fuss.
Their spouses and daughters and sons – et all
Pour in regardless: the big and the small.
With smiles and sweet talk, appear cozy and warm
But strike like relentless waves in a storm

Chaos then reigns, things turn upside down
All rooms fill up with ear splitting sounds 
There's laughing and chatting in each nook and corner
That grows louder as the night grows, upon my honour.
A peaceful existence is the thing of the past 
I now have to contend with a scream and a blast.

Slippers lie strewn all over the floor 
Don't they know they should leave them right by the door?
I am the head of my household – there's no doubt about that
But my place at the table is taken by some cheeky brat!
In despair I turn to my sanctuary – my newspaper nook
Only to find a niece or a nephew engrossed in a book.

This year they've actually taken the cake 
My room has been snatched, at night I'm awake.
Here I lie flat and I stare at the ceiling 
Swallowing the rage and the anger I'm feeling 
I've been banished mercilessly from my very own door
Assigned no better place than the cold hard floor.

Afshan

1 comment:

  1. an old poem I wrote - found it recently. Quite relevant today too. We still take over baji's house when we go to hyderabad. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.